Purpose

Our blog about training and riding from Amsterdam to Barcelona on bicycle during the summer of 2011

TRAINING SCHEDULE

TRAINING SCHEDULE

Monday, May 2, 2011

Trek 520 review with panniers


THIS IS MY BICYCLE!!!!

Honestly, it is so sexy. I've gotten quite used to riding beater bikes around Boston for the past couple of years, which means I have a built-in resistance to saddle soreness and the daily experience of climbing hills (Tufts University is all one big hill!)

We spent lots of time researching different options, and this seemed like a reputable, solid choice for a month-long tour. It is also speedy and durable enough for the fast, metropolitan style of riding I like to do, which means it will get great use upon returning to the USA.

As someone who mostly RIDES bikes and doesn't quite fuss over the details, I don't know if certain components are significantly better/worse than others. All I know is that I feel like I can ride forever on the steel frame of the 520, it is much faster and fits better than my previous $100 Craigslist bike, and that rootbeer finish glistens in the sun like nothin' I've seen before.

I also have Axiom Laselle panniers, which are currently loaded up with:

  • 3 t-shirts
  • 2 shorts
  • a button-up shirt
  • jeans
  • 4 pairs socks
  • laptop
  • textbook
  • 2 notebooks
  • towel
These things still have plenty of space to spare, with pockets and bungee cords that haven't even been touched yet. They seem pretty awesome, and the best part is that I haven't really noticed much of a change in my riding after loading up the bike with all the extra weight. In fact, it seems to add inertia/speed when I go downhill. Considering this isn't a race, I foresee general awesomeness.

AHHHH I can't wait for this trip!! Gotta graduate college and keep training first.


No comments:

Post a Comment