Purpose

Our blog about training and riding from Amsterdam to Barcelona on bicycle during the summer of 2011

TRAINING SCHEDULE

TRAINING SCHEDULE

Saturday, May 7, 2011

New Hampshire

In NH today for Mother's Day Weekend.

We skipped riding yesterday because of finals stress. I think writing papers and studying for tests should have some equivalent to biking miles...I'll figure the equation out later.

So, instead of 25 for today, we rode this 18 mile loop around Paugus Bay that featured the biggest uphill climbs we have encountered yet. I personally loved it. There were small bursts of rain that kept us fresh throughout the ride, and after those big hills were some huge, satisfying downhill stretches overlooking the serene NH landscape.

It was interesting how a long, gradual uphill was so taxing. I'm happy I have that third "granny gear" on the front on my Trek 520, because when we are fully loaded up with 20+ pounds of equipment, I will probably have to use it a whole bunch. I've been purposefully trying to stay on the largest front gear when not fully loaded to simulate weight.

The more I ride, the more I feel I will be needing a better bike seat. (Emma has been dealing with pain from hers since the first 20 minutes of trying it!) For example, I felt fine for the majority of our ride today, but at the end of 18 miles, I could feel discomfort starting. If we plan on 30-40 miles a day in Europe, I'd rather not have it be in pain.

I will most likely end up ordering a Brooks B17 in Apple Green. They have a great reputation, and (I think) will look badass in contrast with my Rootbeer-colored 520. Or at least I hope it will give the bike a more personalized character, which I believe it is currently lacking.

...Besides, true cyclists would never ride a stock bike, right?



View Laconia friday ride? in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment